Chhattisgarh Forest Cover Shrinks by 901 sq km
- The latest report published by the Forest Survey of India (FSI) which recorded 55,547 sq km in 2017 in comparison to 56,448 sq km in 2001.
- The biggest cause of encroachment is tribal population growth, which presently stands at 1 crore in comparison to 66 lakh in 2001.
- Experts suggest following measures to save the forests:
- Physical and digital demarcation of remaining forest,
- Make satellite verification mandatory,
- Make encroachment non-bailable offence,
- Modernize agriculture techniques of tribal people,
- Notifying the orange areas (unmarked protect forest) and transfer the revenue forests to Forest Department,
- Increase dividend on timber extraction from 20 per cent to 50 per cent and transfer 85 per cent of that amount into the accounts of villagers to encourage them for protection of forest,
- Implement satellite monitoring of plantation and stopping issuing license to sawmills.
CM Releases Zakir Hussain’s Book ‘Wolga Se Sheonath Tak’
- Journalist from steel city Bhilai, Md Zakir Hussain’s book ‘Wolga Se Sheonath Tak’ a research book on the history of Bhilai was released at the hands of Chief Minister, Bhupesh Baghel.
- The book centralized on the contribution of Soviet Union in the construction of Bhilai Steel Plant along with the contribution of Indians was appreciated by the guests.
Raigarh and Ambikapur Wins “Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019”
- Raigarh Municipal Corporation won the “Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019” while Ambikapur bagged the second prize followed by Kumbhakonam (Tamil Nadu).
- Also, Nagar Palika Parishad of Jashpur Nagar and Nagar Palika Parishad Surajpur have claimed the prizes in the “Statutory Towns” category.
‘Rajim Maghi Punni Mela’ Celebrated
- Rajim Maghi Punni Mela (Rajim Kumbh) celebrated at Rajim, Gariaband District on Magh Poornima.
- Rajim is situated at the confluence of three rivers- Mahanadi, Pairi and Sodhur
- The main tourist and religious attractions at Rajim are: Rajiv Lochan Temple and Kuleshwar Mahaved Temple