President clears 10% reservation for economically weak in general category
- President Ram Nath Kovind has given his assent to the constitutional provision to provide 10-per cent reservation in government jobs and education to economically backward section in the general category.
- The Act amends Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution, by adding a clause which allows states to make “special provision for the advancement of any economically weaker sections of citizens”.
- It also fulfils the mandate of Article 46 under Directive Principles of State Policy.
- The 10 per cent reservation will be in addition to the existing 50 per cent reservation for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes (OBC) making the total reservation quota 60%.
- Eligibility to avail the benefit:
- Family Income below Rs 8 lakh per annum.
- Rural areas: Agricultural land below five acres and residential house below 1000 square feet.
- Urban areas: residential plot below 100 yards in notified municipality and below 200 yards in the non-notified municipal areas.
Sikkim launches ‘One Family, One Job’ scheme
- Under the scheme every family one government job has been allotted, in Gangtok.
- New recruits were taken for Group C and Group D posts in 12 departments.
- Sikkim became the first state in the country to carry out such a programme.