International Conference on ‘Making our Elections Inclusive and Accessible”
- The Chief Election Commissioner of India, Sunil Arora inaugurated an International Conference on ‘Making our Elections Inclusive and Accessible “on the occasion of 9th National Voters Day held ’in New Delhi.
- National Voters Day is observed on 25th January every year.
- Theme of 2019 voters day is ‘No Voter to be Left Behind’
Vande Bharat Express to Replace Shatabdi Express
- Train 18 which is India’s first indigenously developed engineless semi high speed train has been named as Vande Bharat Express.
- The Train will run between Delhi and Varanasi at the maximum speed of 160 kmph.
- The 16-coach train, built in 18 months at a cost of Rs 97 crores by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, is regarded as a successor to the 30-year-old Shatabdi Express.
Novak Djokovik Beats Rafael Nadal in Australian Open 2019
- Spain’s Rafael Nadal was defeated by Serbia’s Novak Djokovik to win his Australian Open title.
- Djokovik won a record seventh Australian Open title and a third successive grand slam.
Naomi Osaka (Japan) beats Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) to win Australian Opens womens singles.
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka became WTA No. 1 in singles ranking replacing Romania’s Simona Halep and first ever Asian to become world No.1
- She became first player since Jennifer Capriatite win two consecutive Grand Slam titles.