UK PM Repeats ‘Deep Regret’ for Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May reiterated the UK government’s long-standing expression of ‘deep regret’ over the April 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre, calling it a ‘shameful scar’ on British Indian history.
- Since 2019 was the centenary of the horrendous act there was a growing demand from many quarters for the formal apology including Indian diaspora and Jeremy Corbyn (Opposition Leader of the Labour Party).
- Earliar the government of Punjab has sought an apology from the British government for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
Hong Kong becomes World’s 3rd Biggest Stock Market
- Stock market of Hong Kong has surpassed Japan to become the world’s third most valuable market behind only the US and China.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index has increased by 17 percent this year.
- The Bombay Stock Exchange was the first stock exchange in Asia is the 10th biggest stock exchange.
First Ever Image of a Black Hole Captured
- Astronomers Captured the First Image of a Black Hole which was a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole at the center of the galaxy M87 (Messier 87) with the help of The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) observations.
- Black holes were first predicted by Einstein’s theory of relativity and these are the extreme cosmic objects, containing incredible amounts of mass within a tiny region.
- The group headed by Luciano Rezzolla made fundamental contributions to the theoretical interpretation of the results throughout each stage of the observations.
Lewis Hamilton Clinched Formula One’s 1000th Race
- British racing driver, Lewis Hamilton has achieved his 75th career victory in Formula One’s 1000th race at the Chinese Grand Prix.
- He won beating teammate and pole sitter Valtteri Bottas with a quicker start from his No. 2 spot on the grid.