- The American Constitution was the first to begin with a Preamble.
- It is based on the Objective Resolution drafted by Pt Nehru.
- Experts call it as the ‘soul of Constitution’, ‘identity card of constitution’, and ‘Horoscope of the nation’
- It gives the basic philosophy on which the Constitution is based.
- It reflects the vision and aspirations of the constitution.
- It gives the source of authority of the constitution i.e. people of India.
- Supreme Court held that Preamble is an integral part of the Constitution and parliament can alter it without damaging the basic features (Keshavananda Bharati Case)
- In case of any ambiguity in the Constitution, court takes assistance from the Preamble for interpretation.
However, two things should be noted:
- The Preamble is neither a source of power to legislature nor a prohibition upon the powers of legislature.
- It is non-justiciable, that is, its provisions are not enforceable in courts of law.
The objectives, which are laid down in the Preamble are:
- Description of Indian State as Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic Republic. (Socialist, Secular added by 42nd Amendment, 1976).
- Provision to all the citizens of India i.e.
- Justice social, economic and political.
- Liberty of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship.
- Equality of status and opportunity.
- Fraternity assuring dignity of the individual and unity and integrity of the nation.