International Day of the World’s Indigenous People 2019 observed
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous People was observed on August 9.
- It is celebrated to raise awareness about the protection of the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- The theme of International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2019 is ‘‘Indigenous Languages”.
- On 23 December 1994, the UNGA declared August 9 as International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. The date marks the first meeting of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations of the Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in 1982.
Huawei unveiled Operating System HarmonyOS
- Huawei Technologies launched its own Operating System (OS) named HongMengOS in Chinese and HarmonyOS in English.
- The open-source software will skip smartphones and instead find its way into everything from cars and watches to personal computers by 2020.
- It an important part of Huawei’s effort to develop alternatives in response to sanctions on American technology it needs to make its gear. China’s largest technology company has found itself at the center of sensitive trade negotiations between Beijing and Washington, with the latter accusing its geopolitical rival of stealing technology and posing a risk to U.S. national security.
Former SC Judge Madan Lokur appointed Fiji’s SC Judge
- The President of Fiji Major General (Retd) Jioji Konrote has appointed Justice Madan Lokur from India a judge of the non-resident panel of the Supreme Court of Fiji.
- This is the first time ever an Indian has been appointed to the Supreme Court of another country.
- He was Chief Justice of the Guwahati High Court and the Andhra Pradesh High Court before being elevated to the Supreme Court.