USA won FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 was held in France.
- United States of America (USA), the defending champion won the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 by defeating the Netherlands.
- 24 teams participated in the tournament. The prize money was $30 million.
France became the First Country to pass GAFA Tax
- France became the first major economy to impose a tax on digital giants, with parliament passing the legislation in defiance of a probe ordered by President Donald Trump that could trigger reprisal tariffs.
- The legislation- dubbed the GAFA Tax- an acronym for Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon Tax was passed with aims at plugging a taxation gap that has seen some internet heavyweights paying next to nothing in countries where they make huge profits.
- The law will levy a 3 per cent tax on total annual revenues of the largest tech firms providing services to French consumers.
- But the French move drew an angry response from Trump even before the legislation was passed, with the president ordering an investigation.
SBI’s Anshula Kant appointed as MD and CFO of World Bank
- Anshula Kant, the managing director (MD) of the State Bank of India (SBI) has been appointed as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the World Bank (WB).
- Since September 2018 she has been a Managing Director and member of the World Bank Board.
- As Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, Kant will be responsible for financial and risk management of the World Bank Group, reporting to the President.
- She is a graduate in Economic Honours from Lady Shri Ram College for Women and a Post-Graduate in Economics from Delhi School of Economics.